The festive of Diwali is never complete without lights and sweets. Unfortunately, my husband had to work on this day too..😔 My 2 year old patiently waited for her father to come home and open up the crackers….. Meanwhile, I decided to surprise him with one of his favourite dessert, double ka meeta.I was surprised when it took just 15 minutes to prepare and plate up..😜
- Rusk : 3
- Milk: 1 1/2 cup
- Almond: 4-5 finely chopped
- Cashew: 4-5 finely chopped.
- Condensed milk: 3-4 tbspn
- Boil the milk in a non-stick pan.
- Add condensed milk, 3/4th of the chopped almond and cashew and a few strands of saffron.Stir it well.
- Dip the 3 rusk into it, take it out and keep them aside.(Please dont burn your hand or fingers☺)
- In a medium flame, let the milk reduce to half.
- Once reduced, check the sweetness.If needed, add accordingly.
- Let it cool.
- Pour the reduced milk mix over the rusk. Refrigerate it until time to serve.
- Garnish it with rest of the chopped almond and cashew. Also place a few strands of saffron and serve.
- One could add a pinch of cardamom powder for flavour to the milk while boiling.( My hubby hates it, hence I skipped it)
- Condensed milk can be replaced with sugar. But then, cardamom powder has to be added for flavour.
- For Double ka meeta, fried bread or rusk is first dipped into sugar syrup. And then, the reduced milk is poured over it.
- But I would say that dipping them into the boiling milk itself will do the trick.
- Also, it is an advantage if the rusk is already a sweet one.😉
Enjoy the double ka meeta…☺☺