Navratri is one of those rare festivals, celebrated in various parts of India in a different way. The most famous among them is the Durga Pooja famous in North Eastern parts of India. During my school days, we used to eagerly await this festival. We used to get 10 days of vacation and to top it all, we used to keep all our school books for a 3 day long Pooja..😜 People would keep their vehicles, work tools and other work equipments for the Pooja. My whole family would gather at my uncle’s place. For me, this festival is more of a family get-together with lots of fun, laughter, and great foods including sweets.
- Peanut: 4 cups, skin removed
- Jaggery: 3/4 cup, grated
- Roast the peanut in a non stick pan/kadai until it turns light brown and gives a nice aroma.
- Let it cool.
- Once cooled, powder the peanut and jaggery in a Blender.
- You need to check the mix every 2 seconds while blending.
- The mix is ready when the oil is almost oozing out from the peanuts.
- Take a little amount of the mix in your hands and knead them into small balls.
- You can serve it hot immediately or store it and serve later.
- Monitoring the mix is necessary because once it is over ground, oil will get separated.
- Also, you can spread the mix on a small tray and press it with a spoon all over, so that it’s firm. Cut into cubes and serve it like chikki. 😋