Hi guys… I have once again, come up with an ice cream recipe.
Onam, the festival of Kerala, has arrived once again and there are celebrations all around. A festival celebrated by everyone discarding all barriers of caste and creed, irrespective of if they are rich or poor. It re-unites everyone, far and near and is a celebration of coming together.
The Onam feast or the Onasadhya is something that everyone has to experience. On a plantain leaf, nearly 15-20 dishes are served with rice. You can have every flavour of spice, sour, sweet and what not to your hearts content….
Payasam/kheer is a sweet dish that is served at the end of the sadhya.
Recently I happened to watch an ad on payasam icecream. I thought, why not I make one of my own.
The Paalada pradhaman is one of the most favored payasam…Since paalada mix is available in the market, it is an easy 2 step process..;-)
Paalada mix : 2 packet(any brand)
Milk: 1 litre
Water: 3 cups
Sweet condensed milk: 200ml
Fresh cream: 200ml
Vanilla essence: 1 tspn
- The recipe provided in the packet instructs one to boil milk and water and then add the paalada mix in a deep kadai/soup pot. Since this method would consume a lot of cooking gas, I prefer cooking the mix in a pressure cooker with 3 cups of water in it. Let it cook till 3 whistles.
- Open the pressure cooker once the pressure is gone.
- In a non-stick deep kadai, boil milk.Add the cooked paalada.Stir well. Let it thicken.
- Since there is sugar and cardamom powder in the mix, it is not necessary to add sugar further. If needed, add little sweetened condensed milk for flavour.
- Stir it well. The payasam is done.
- Let it cool.
- Once the payasam is cooled, separate at least 2-3 cups of liquid from paalada.
- Wash the separated paalada with ice cold water and keep aside.
- For ice cream base, take the fresh cream in a bowl, whip it until smooth and thick.
- Fold the separated liquid into the whipped fresh cream.
- If more sweetness is required, add sweetened condensed milk accordingly.
- Also add 1 tspn of vanilla essence. Fold it nicely.
- Pour it in an air tight container and keep it in freezer for 2 hours.
- Take it out. Add the washed paalada to it.Fold it gently.
- Place it in the freezer for 4-5 hours.
- Serve it to dears with cashew or any nuts roasted in ghee, sprinkled on it.
- Since I had more members in the house during onam, I had to prepare larger quantity. One can cut the quantity of ingredients half and prepare.
- If there is left over paalada payasam, one can cook it once again by adding it into the boilng milk along with sugar and cardamom powder to increase the quantity.
- The payasam ice cream can be prepared with the leftover payasam as well.
- If the ice-cream is kept over night, it becomes hard to scoop. Hence, keep the ice cream in fridge 1 hour prior to serve.
Even though the steps are more, I hope everyone would have enjoyed my recipe. Be adventurous and try it with other kind of payasam too..:-)